China has made its first move to regulate Private Equity, according to Coco Kee, Managing Partner of Kee Global Advisors LLC, a New York-based boutique advisory firm. Not a bad move at first glance, as we wrote about the need for regulation in an article that was covered by The Wallstreet Journal more than two years ago.
The problem with most regulations is not that they are not needed, but they are implemented without a clear reference, rationale or script to the goal they aim to achieve. Put differently, many are band aids to cover the cancer sores that may make the audience feel better, but in no way delivers a cure for the patient.
Private Equity and Venture Capital have been allowed to deploy a financial arbitrage that is in flagrant violation of free-market principles, and without an enforcement of anti-collusion, anti fragmentation of risk, marketplace transparency to all participants and other strict free-market principles, can never avoid the creation of investment bubbles that destroy the opportunity and faith in the underlying assets.
For China the implementation of free-market principles are farther afloat from their economic foundation than it is to us in the U.S., but if we keep messing up our economic freedom China may just get there before we do.
- An outlier knows no precedent - September 9, 2014
- Losing VC money is not our biggest problem - August 11, 2014
- The Long of Facebook - August 7, 2014
- ‘Innovation’ without renewable socioeconomic value is (government) sponsored bank-robbery of society. — Georges van Hoegaerden - August 7, 2014
- Freedom stripped of its paradox is no freedom at all. — Georges van Hoegaerden - July 25, 2014
- 15,000 views on The State of Venture Capital - July 23, 2014
- Triple Threat Founders - July 20, 2014
- If we want to inspire the world with our spiritual leadership, we must stop selling lies to unsuspecting greater-fools. And lead the world by example, with new rigors of excellence we first and successfully apply to ourselves. — Georges van Hoegaerden - July 19, 2014
- Has Venture Capital Changed? - July 15, 2014
- Data Leads to Depravity - July 7, 2014